Re: [Condor-users] how download condor-7.2.0-linux-x86-debian40.tar.gz with command line?

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 09:15:09AM -0500, Nick LeRoy wrote:
> > walid saad wrote:
> > > I need to download the pakage condor-7.2.0-linux-x86-debian40.tar.gz
> > > with a command line like wget for the debian distribution.
> > > I am a condor mailing list member.
> >
> > I fear that's not (directly) possible, since you need to register first
> > on the web page and then you get a download adress with a long hash
> > inside. I.e. you need to register the download before you can get this
> > link, after that you can use wget to download any advertised binary.
>
> Yes, that's correct.  In addition, by design, that link that you get expires
> after a period of time.
>
> I'd like to point out that there's a reason for us doing this.  It allows us
> to track the downloads of Condor -- not for nefarious purposes, not at all.
> Rather, this allows us to tell our various funding sources that "n users
> downloaded Condor during x period".

Why can't this just be done by looking at the http server logs?  Any
http server will log the IP addresses of visitors to a url.  There's
really no reason to have users jump through this hoop, if the reason
really is just to know how many users downloaded during a certain
period.  If this really is the only reason, then I implore Condor to
do away with this download hurdle.  It is a real burden to
administrators.  I have honestly assumed that it actually *was* for
nefarious purposes, since it effectively diminishes the freedom of the
software.

jamie.