Re: [Condor-users] Copying job attrs into slot attrs

> Note that this will not play nice with SMP machines unless
> you make the negotiator only match one slot per machine per
> cycle as it will not deal with the empty state cleanly (it
> will happily pump 4 jobs at the machine in your above example).

Good point. We use a similar setup for jobs that want all of a machine, and we keep the special matching to just slot 1 on every machine.

Condor doesn't update the Class Ads at the negotiator, or in the other slots, fast enough for you to do any sort of reliable, syncrhonized decisions making on a machine-wide basis.

> This is a real pain for asymmetric SMP utilization, I don't
> know if the condor team has any long term plans in this area.

I'd love to hear about the roadmap, if there is one, for this area.

Perhaps the new SMP support could deal with this? Where you can advertise a custom attribute on the machine's ad that jobs can then subtract from as they use the attribute? Much like they do for memory and disk, but this would be a user-assigned and configurable collection of attributes.

I really need to look in to the new SMP support more...maybe this is in there already?

- Ian

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution,  or copying  of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.