Re: [Condor-users] Copying job attrs into slot attrs

> What might help is evaluating in a breadth first rather than
> depth first order on slots, typically how most people want to
> work anyway.
> So negotiate 1 slot from every machine in the first cycle,
> then a slot from everything with more slots left in, repeat
> till finished.

I thought the negotiator worked per-job, not per-slot. So it'd take the next job in line, find a list of matches, sort the matches according to your sort lists, and then pop the top and there's your match. It doesn't go machine-by-machine.

> This would reduce the probability of an incorrect match if
> negotiation was sufficiently slow to leave time for an update
> on the collector in the interim. I think in many cases
> negotiation is cases this would not actually help unless you
> put in an explicit delay after each cycle though.

Breadth first sorting for your post-match expression would help here, but it wouldn't close the problem completely. If you've only got one machine left in the pool you'd have trouble. Personally, I'd take a wasteful solution (the one I proposed wastes two jobs in a negotation cycle because it matched them to a machine that, in the end, refused to run them) that's 100% right versus something that has a probability of an incorrect match associated with it. :)

But...

> The rejection idea, coupled with this wouldn't be too bad
> because the top priority jobs (as defined by their being
> assigned first) would be much less likely to be assigned to
> the same machine, and thus to then end up being rejected (and
> subsequently getting behind other jobs they are unable to pre-empt)

Yea, put the two together and you'd be more efficient in your matchmaking for sure.

> I'd still take total control, but that's just me :)

Ditto. I've had to learn how to stop worrying and love the controlled chaos.

- Ian

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution,  or copying  of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.