Re: [Condor-users] Condor 6.8.n: job running delays: RUN TIMES stay at Zero

> From: Daniel Forrest
>
> This is a sign that the scheduler is too busy to get shadows started
> quickly enough.

Indeed, another classic is startd's spending a long time in "Claimed Idle" state, something you can efficiently monitor via (cheap) condor_status calls.

We had various throttling mechanisms on our submission wrapping system that reduced the rate or submission, the max number of jobs and the max non idle jobs.
Since going to 7.2 I have eliminated all but the max jobs limit (and that can happily go into the thousands)

You need to get yourselves of the 6.x series, anything else is a band-aid solution where you'll just have the pain of ripping it off once the real problem is 'healed'[1].

To get the significant benefits you really need to upgrade the schedds to something in the 7.2 range though and that IIRC would require the whole pool to be at least 7.x.

Matt

[1] Disclaimer: Analogies are like trousers, too loose and they fall down.

----
Gloucester Research Limited believes the information provided herein is reliable. While every care has been taken to ensure accuracy, the information is furnished to the recipients with no warranty as to the completeness and accuracy of its contents and on condition that any errors or omissions shall not be made the basis for any claim, demand or cause for action.
The information in this email is intended only for the named recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately and do not copy, distribute or take action based on this e-mail.
All messages sent to and from this email address will be logged by Gloucester Research Ltd and are subject to archival storage, monitoring, review and disclosure.
Gloucester Research Limited, 5th Floor, Whittington House, 19-30 Alfred Place, London WC1E 7EA.
Gloucester Research Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 04267560.
----