Re: [Condor-users] Condor 6.8.n: job running delays: RUN TIMES stay at Zero

Daniel Forrest writes:

>> Is this likely to be a 6.8.n series issue - I am still waiting
>> for an oppourtunity to upgrade VUW's grid to something less than
>> two-years old - or have I missed something really basic within the
>> Condor /config file/operational methodology/?
>
> As one other poster mentioned, the other solution is to upgrade only
> the central manager to a newer Condor version.  It should have no
> problem interoperating with compute nodes that are running 6.8.n.

Hi Dan, (and Matt from Gloucester Research)

thanks for the feedback. I had formed the impression that we'd need to
keep the master and slaves in sync as regards major versions but maybe
not.

Just to cement your viewpoint in place though, the only other posting
I have seen, Matt's, seemed to be in reply to yours which makes
your "As one other poster said" a little tautological!

> To get the significant benefits you really need to upgrade the schedds
> to something in the 7.2 range though and that IIRC would require the
>  whole pool to be at least 7.x.

The central IT guys here, for whom my Comp Sci school IT folk administer
the Condor grid, were supposed to be giving me the resources to try out
a newer Condor, in isolation from the existing pool, next week, just in
time for Xmas - it's like being a kid again!

I would have been looking to start afresh from the 7.4 series.

If you tell me categorically that I can upgrade the master to a later
version and not affect the existing grid then that'd enable VUW to
take a huge step in the right direction at a much quicker pace.

Thanks again for the feedback,
Kevin

--
Kevin M. Buckley                                  Room:  CO327
School of Engineering and                         Phone: +64 4 463 5971