Re: [Condor-users] condor and co-linux

Hi Vladimir,

We're considering an approach like this for our "Pools of Virtual Boxes" project (http://poolsofvirtualb.sourceforge.net) which was modeled after coLinux but uses VirtualBox as a hypervisor because of many advantages over coLinux (64-bit support, multiple CPU, very active development for VirtualBox). We have bootstrapping routines for building CentOS and Fedora based images, Windows services to monitor Windows usage and configure the virtual machine, and some enhancements to pre-package software for deployment.

You could probably accomplish some of this by first submitting a vanilla Windows job to launch coLinux on demand, and then creating some logic within the coLinux Condor to shut down coLinux after enough idle time (or other conditions). Using Hawkeye comes to mind. I believe some care is needed to make sure coLinux is launched with administrator privileges.

With VirtualBox, we're trying to integrate with the Condor virtual machine universe, which should provide some advantages for controlling the process of starting and stopping on demand. In practice though, having VirtualBox running a Linux image all the time hasn't caused problems, even in very busy student labs.

    Craig

P.S. coLinux should be detecting user presence. We were using this functionality before switching to VirtualBox (and it is implemented in our current releases, but is getting increasingly difficult to implement with each new version of Windows).