Re: [Condor-users] Can a "bare-bone" version of condor measure just idle times statistics?

Rob,
Installing Condor is the easiest way to test the availability of
nodes. The STARTD is the daemon that will measure the keyboard
idle/busy times. So, in addition to the MASTER, you need a STARTD
running on each of the machines. Additionally, you can set up the
policies that you would use for when to start, suspend, preempt, kill,
etc. jobs to measure machine availability.

For example, the University of Wisconsin policies essentially enable
workstations to participate when they are idle for 15 minutes or more,
suspending when someone uses the keyboard again, and finally
preempting if the keyboard remains busy. Although this may not be
perfect for your environment, you can use these to get a feel for how
idle your machines are by setting the following in your
condor_config.local file on each machine:
START=$(UWCS_START)
SUSPEND=$(UWCS_SUSPEND)
PREEMPT=$(UWCS_PREEMPT)
CONTINUE=$(UWCS_CONTINUE)
KILL=$(UWCS_KILL)
WANT_SUSPEND = $(UWCS_WANT_SUSPEND)
WANT_VACATE = $(UWCS_WANT_VACATE)
STARTD_COMPUTE_AVAIL_STATS = True

You can check the exact definitions for these policies in your
condor_config file, and modify them later as appropriate. Once this is
done, you will be able to see machines that are available to run jobs
by typing 'condor_status' and looking for machines in the "Unclaimed"
state. The STARTD_COMPUTE_AVAIL_STATS puts additional information in
your startd classads to assess available time
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.2/3_3Configuration.html#15240

Using:
condor_status -format "%s, " AvailTime -format "%s\n" Name
will show you the AvailTime statistic for your machines.

Good luck!
Jason

--
Jason A. Stowe

Cycle Computing, LLC
Leader in Condor Grid Solutions
Enterprise Condor Support and Management Tools

http://www.cyclecomputing.com
http://www.cyclecloud.com