Re: [Condor-users] Installed condor on Fedora with yum: condor_compile not there!

Matt wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>     I have installed condor 7.2.0 on Fedora 9 as a precompiled rpm package (with yum).
>     There are many condor_foobar executables in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.
>     However, I don't have condor_compile.
>     There is lots of talking in the manual on condor_compile, which now confuses me.
>     Am I missing something important, or is condor_compile not required anymore in 7.2?
>
>     Thanks,
>     Rob.
>
> I maintain the condor package in Fedora, and you're right it is a bit different from the packages you may get directly from UW.
> Not all of Condor's features are supported on all platforms. Some have dependencies that cannot be met everywhere.
>
> The Fedora packaging guidelines currently preclude inclusion of the Standard Universe (SU) because of its dependencies
> and fashion that it is built. At the time the package was created, this was also true for Globus gahps, though it may not still be
> true. It may be possible to package Globus for Fedora, while for the SU it isn't possible to have a dependency on a patched
> version of glibc. Additionally, the SU has not been ported to the newest glibc in Fedora.
>
> That all said, it's possible that you could run some condor_compile'd binaries in your Fedora pool, but the condor_compile
> may have to occur on a separate system where condor_compile is supported.
>
> Best,
>
> matt

Thank you for the explanation.

What are the prospects that this will be fixed in a/the next release of Fedora?

Or is this dependency problem always there due to the "cutting-edge" property of Fedora?
If yes, would CentOS then be a better choice in this case?

Thanks,
Rob.