[Condor-users] Changing DAEMON_LIST on the fly?

Hi all,

is there a way to change the daemon list on the fly? E.g. I would like to
change
DAEMON_LIST=MASTER,CKPT_SERVER,STARTD
DAEMON_LIST=MASTER,CKPT_SERVER,STARTD, QUILL

a condor_reconfig does not seem to force the master to reload the config file
thus the master won't start condor_quill. I have yet not dared to kill the
master and restart it as I fear this will affect running jobs. Is there a way
to make the changes known to condor_master without killing running jobs?

Cheers

Carsten

PS: Final question: Anyone with experience how well quill scales with ~ 1700
nodes connection to a single quill DB server?