Re: [Condor-users] condor_status -direct hostname : why can't I use IP number instead of hostname?

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, Rob wrote:

Hello,

The condor_status command seems to have some delay between
what it reports and the actual status of the machine. I suppose this
has to do with certain update times. Which ones?

Is it true that I can circumvent the delay with the "-direct hostname" flag?

By the time you cycle through each node in a large pool, there will
be more delay than just waiting for the collector to do its thing.

The key is whatever the daemon name is called, and that in turn
depends on what condor thinks the hostname/ip is internally.  Daemon
names are not always the same as the ip configured in NETWORK_INTERFACE
if there are multiple IP's on the system.

Steve Timm

If so, this does not work nicely in my condor pool network.
For example:

$ condor_status -any

MyType               TargetType           Name

DaemonMaster         None                 23-4
Machine              Job                  slot1@23-4
Machine              Job                  slot2@23-4

$ condor_status

Name               OpSys      Arch   State     Activity LoadAv Mem   ActvtyTime

slot1@23-4         WINNT51    INTEL  Unclaimed Idle     0.050  1010  0+00:25:04
slot2@23-4         WINNT51    INTEL  Unclaimed Idle     0.000  1010  0+00:25:05

                    Total Owner Claimed Unclaimed Matched Preempting Backfill

      INTEL/WINNT51     2     0       0         2       0          0        0

                      Total     2     0       0         2       0          0        0

The "23-4" is not a proper hostname of this PC, as it does not work in the -direct flag.
When I try the IP-number instead, it also does not work:

$ condor_status -direct 23-4
condor_status: unknown host 23-4
$ condor_status -direct "23-4"
condor_status: unknown host 23-4
$ condor_status -direct 10.1.1.37
condor_status: Can't find address for startd 10.1.1.37
$ condor_status -direct "10.1.1.37"
condor_status: Can't find address for startd 10.1.1.37

This is peculiar; why can't I use the IP number here?

========================

Now, on my linux master PC, I can add an entry into the /etc/hosts file:

23-4        10.1.1.37

Then the "condor_status -direct 23-4" works!!!

This is rather inconvenient though; because pool PCs automatically hook
up to the condor network, but in order to make the "-direct" work, the root user
must modify the /etc/hosts file for every new PC in the pool.......

Why does this not work with the IP number?
Isn't a hostname merely a neat camouflage of the IP number?

Or is there another way to make the IP number work with the -direct flag?

Thanks,
Rob.