[Condor-users] condor_status -direct hostname : why can't I use IP number instead of hostname?

Hello,

The condor_status command seems to have some delay between
what it reports and the actual status of the machine. I suppose this
has to do with certain update times. Which ones?

Is it true that I can circumvent the delay with the "-direct hostname" flag?

If so, this does not work nicely in my condor pool network.
For example:

$ condor_status -any

MyType               TargetType           Name

DaemonMaster         None                 23-4
Machine              Job                  slot1@23-4
Machine              Job                  slot2@23-4

$ condor_status

Name               OpSys      Arch   State     Activity LoadAv Mem   ActvtyTime

slot1@23-4         WINNT51    INTEL  Unclaimed Idle     0.050  1010  0+00:25:04
slot2@23-4         WINNT51    INTEL  Unclaimed Idle     0.000  1010  0+00:25:05

                     Total Owner Claimed Unclaimed Matched Preempting Backfill

       INTEL/WINNT51     2     0       0         2       0          0        0

                       Total     2     0       0         2       0          0        0

The "23-4" is not a proper hostname of this PC, as it does not work in the -direct flag.
When I try the IP-number instead, it also does not work:

$ condor_status -direct 23-4
condor_status: unknown host 23-4
$ condor_status -direct "23-4"
condor_status: unknown host 23-4
$ condor_status -direct 10.1.1.37
condor_status: Can't find address for startd 10.1.1.37
$ condor_status -direct "10.1.1.37"
condor_status: Can't find address for startd 10.1.1.37

This is peculiar; why can't I use the IP number here?

========================

Now, on my linux master PC, I can add an entry into the /etc/hosts file:

23-4        10.1.1.37

Then the "condor_status -direct 23-4" works!!!

This is rather inconvenient though; because pool PCs automatically hook
up to the condor network, but in order to make the "-direct" work, the root user
must modify the /etc/hosts file for every new PC in the pool.......

Why does this not work with the IP number?
Isn't a hostname merely a neat camouflage of the IP number?

Or is there another way to make the IP number work with the -direct flag?

Thanks,
Rob.