Re: [Condor-users] condor_status hostname : why can't I use IP number instead of hostname?

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, Rob wrote:

Ian Chesal wrote:

Your pm37 machine either isn't in DNS or the full hostname, including
the domain name, doesn't match whatever you have in set for
DEFAULT_DOMAIN_NAME in your condor_config file.

If you just give condor a hostname it'll tack on DEFAULT_DOMAIN_NAME and
try to find that fully qualified name in its list of hosts. You need to
make sure pm37's fully qualified domain name matches
pm37.$DEFAULT_DOMAIN_NAME. Alternativily you can give condor_status the
fully qualified hostname:

condor_status -direct pm37.foo.bar.your.domain.com

Thank you for your explanation.

Your story, however, does not match with what I experience.

Could you please help me understand what is the magic of
the @-sign in the condor hostname resolution.

The pool PCs in question here are public library PCs.
None of them are configured with a full domain names.
Their purpose is to "connect from" not "connect to".

So I would understand if I can't connect to none of them.
However, condor_status has no problem with dual core PCs,
apparently the names "slot1@..." and "slot2@..." do resolve!
The two PCs in my pool are:
  slot1@23-4
  slot2@23-4
  pm37

Neither 23-4, nor pm37 are qualified hostnames. However:

$ condor_status slot1@23-4

Name         OpSys    Arch  State  Activity LoadAv Mem   ActvtyTime

slot1@23-4   WINNT51  INTEL Owner  Idle     0.000  1010  0+01:15:04

$ condor_status pm37
condor_status: unknown host pm37

Rob--you don't say which machine you are actually doing
the condor_status from.  What happens if you do
condor_status pm37 on the pm37 machine?

The magic of the @ sign is that condor_status deals with daemon
names

[slot][@][hostname][defaultdomain]

Steve

------------------------

Question:
I think the absence/presence of the @-sign is crucial here!
What magic does condor_status do with the @-sign in the hostname?
For example  "condor_status @pm37"  does not give any output,
also no error message about 'unknown host' !

I wonder if this problem could be solved easily, if I can address
a single core PC with an @-sign in its name, for example: "slot@pm37"
Unfortunately that does not work. Anything else I can try?

Thanks,
Rob.