[Condor-users] A little more information on FetchWorkDelay

I'm scratching my head reading the documentation for FetchWorkDelay in
4.4.1.3 (the Index link is, incidentally, incorrect -- it says 4.4.1.1).
The docs say:

        For example, a very common configuration would be to always wait
5 minutes
        (300 seconds) between attempts to fetch work, unless the slot is
Claimed/Idle,
        in which case the condor_startd should fetch immediately:

        FetchWorkDelay = ifThenElse(State == "Claimed" && Activity ==
"Idle", 0, 300)

I think I need a better explanation of the states of a startd when hooks
are in use. I would have expected that if a slot was Unclaimed/Idle
you'd want to run the Fetch Work Hook right away. But Claimed/Idle --
that's odd. Does that mean the startd puts the slot in the Claimed/Idle
state right before it tries to fetch work for the slot with the hook?
And that it doesn't return it to Unclaimed/Idle?

Does Fetch Work Hook get called even if the slot is in the Owner state?
What about Claimed/Running?

Thanks!

- Ian

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution,  or copying  of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.