Re: [Condor-users] Condor on a ram drive

On 3/25/09 1:31 PM, Steil, Joshua wrote:
> Startup script that copies all the files and folders from a hard disk
> location to the ram drive after the server has started and the ram drive
> has been created.
> I haven’t gotten to any testing yet, I wanted to get a better idea of
> things I’m not thinking of or better ideas or if anyone else has had
> this idea and found it to be a terrible one.

I do this for a spam/virus email scanner.  When the server boots, it
creates the ramdisk, mounts it, makes all the proper directories and
such, then spawns the scanning daemon which uses it for temp space.

I don't know how much of a performance increase you'd see; maybe having
the host's job spool point there would offer a little bit when jobs are
first started, and of course using it for jobs temporary outputs and
scratch space (probably don't want checkpoints there, since a power
failure would negate the point of a checkpoint file) but I don't know
that keeping the daemons' binaries on a ramdisk would offer more
performance than you might spend getting it all working properly :>

--
Steve Huston - W2SRH - Unix Sysadmin, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
  Princeton University  |    ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285