Re: [Condor-users] Windows Condor Pool: job exit code -1073741502

Todd,

My job runs an batch file, see it below:

@echo off
setlocal

set THINKING_TIME=2

set COUNT=10

if not A%1 == A ( set THINKING_TIME=%1 )

if not A%2 == A ( set COUNT=%2 )

echo Thinking really hard for %THINKING_TIME% seconds...

rem We use ping here as a hack because "sleep" is non-standard.

ping -n %THINKING_TIME% 127.0.0.1 >NUL 2>&1

rem ping -n %THINKING_TIME% 127.0.0.1

echo Our result:

if %COUNT% GEQ 1 (

   for /L %%x in (1,1,%COUNT%) do (

        echo %%x

   )

)

endlocal

there is no .exe program to check DLL dependencies. The only command it is running is the ping.exe and before its execution at least an echo is supposed to be output to the output file, but it is empty.

Excuse my lack of knowledge about, but I need further assistance.

Thanks, Klaus

Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

24/03/2009 16:32

Please respond to
Condor-Users Mail List <condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Condor-Users Mail List <condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject

kschwarz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am having a problem with only one windows machine that refuses to run
> jobs, exiting with return value (exit code) of -1073741502.

[snip]

> I don't know what this exit code means, so could someone help me?

Sure, it means a DLL failed to initialize, probably because a needed DLL
is not present on that one machine, or it is present but it is corrupted
(scandisk time?).  You could right click on the .exe and select "View
Dependencies" to see what DLLs your job wants to try and narrow down
which DLL is corrupt on that machine.

So you ask how did I figure out that exit code -1073741502 means DLL
initialization failure?  The trick is take the exit status, convert to
Hex (can use even the standard Windows calc.exe program to do this) ---
the hex value of this code is 0xc0000142.  If you google for 0xc0000142,
you find all sorts of info.

Hmmm, seems it make sense if Condor on Windows converted all these crazy
Win32 exit codes into error strings?   Or at the very least reported the
exit status in hex form as well, esp if it is > 0xC0000000 ?
Thoughts/opinions welcome.

Hope the above helps,
Todd

--
Todd Tannenbaum                       University of Wisconsin-Madison
Condor Project Research               Department of Computer Sciences