Re: [Condor-users] Using condor_submit: automatically use the -r option?

Rob,

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Rob Stevenson <r.stevenson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; wrote:
> Thanks for your help, SCHEDD_HOST looks like it does the job. I'm not
> sure exactly what SCHEDD_NAME does, it seems to give a strange listing
> for the schedd when I do use it - for interest, see below*.

For your earlier question, SCHEDD_HOST is the right setting for forcing a different scheduler. It seems SCHEDD_NAME is behaving correctly in this case, because it is used to create specific names for schedulers. As you saw,
SCHEDD_NAME="remoteschedd.local"
will cause the "Name" field of the configured scheduler to be "remoteschedd.local@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx";

Another use is if you are creating a high-availability scheduler, you put a name with an '@' at the end, and both schedulers will be named without their hostnames being added. For example, using:
SCHEDD_NAME="reliable_schedd@"
on both schedds will cause the high availability schedulers to both have the same name "reliable_schedd" rather than "reliable_schedd@host1" and "reliable_schedd@host2"

In our work, we use SCHEDD_NAME to put multiple schedulers on a single machine without name mangling. So on one host, when we use some configuration settings and the SCHEDD_NAME policy, we can create several schedules named:
'Q1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' using SCHEDD_NAME="Q1"
'Q2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' using SCHEDD_NAME="Q2"
'Q3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' using SCHEDD_NAME="Q3"

>  Another related question though: If you do spool files from a local,
> non-shared disk, the files seem to stay on the remote scheduling daemon
> after they are completed. Is there a way to pull these back after the
> run completes?

condor_transfer_data is the command you want:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.2/condor_transfer_data.html

Good luck!

Regards,
Rob

Rob Stevenson wrote:
Thanks for your help, SCHEDD_HOST looks like it does the job. I'm not
sure exactly what SCHEDD_NAME does, it seems to give a strange listing
for the schedd when I do use it - for interest, see below*.

SCHEDD_HOST doesn't spool files to the scheduler automatically. - I know
adding "-s" to the condor_submit command will do this, but can this also
be done automatically? This isn't too important as I think it makes more
sense not to spool files anyway!
  Another related question though: If you do spool files from a local,
non-shared disk, the files seem to stay on the remote scheduling daemon
after they are completed. Is there a way to pull these back after the
run completes?

Thanks again,
Rob

*
I have tried SCHEDD_NAME before:

In condor_config.local:
schedd_name = remoteschedd.local

On executing condor_q it shows the result:
-- Schedd: remoteschedd.local@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx : <192.x.x.x:x>
 ID      OWNER            SUBMITTED     RUN_TIME ST PRI SIZE CMD
1.0 rds 5/1 13:35 0+01:56:27 H 0 195.3 run1.bat
But it seems to still use the local scheduler. - shortly after I turn my
client off the job stops.

Using SCHEDD_HOST looks more promising for my purpose:
In condor_config.local:
schedd_host = remoteschedd.local

On executing 'condor_q -g' it shows the result:
-- Schedd: remoteschedd.local : <192.x.x.x:x>