Re: [Condor-users] condor-users - Which Linux distro to use?

Muhammad Usama wrote:
>  Hi,
> I want to ask which version of Linux is the best for Condor. Should I
> use Redhat Enterprize Linux 5 or fedora 11 or any other version? There
> are a lot of versions of Linux so I am much
> confused. Please tell me the most suitable Linux version that you all
> are using.
>
> Muhammad Usama
> Software Engineer

If you're looking for supported Condor, it is available as part of Red Hat's MRG product. It's the basis of the G[rid] piece.

As for Linux in general, I know Condor is actively built and tested on:

  x86_64 RHEL 5
  x86 RHEL 5
  x86_64 RHEL 3
  x86 RHEL 3
  ia64 RHEL 3

  x86_64 RHEL 4
  x86 RHEL 4

  x86_64 Fedora 10
  x86 Fedora 10
  x86_64 Fedora 11
  x86_64 Fedora 12

  x86_64 Debian 5
  x86 Debian 5
  x86 Debian 4

  ppc64 SLES 9

In addition to being available from UW for Fedora, Condor is also directly part of Fedora since F8, with a few caveats, e.g. no Standard Universe nor Globus support. Standard Universe requires modifications to glibc and static linking that are against Fedora packaging policy. Parts of Globus have recently been packaged with Fedora, so Globus support might be an option in the future. If anyone is interested in taking a shot at Globus support just drop me an email.

Best,

matt