[Condor-users] Why do kflops and mips vary so much?

I've never paid much attention to those values in my machine class ads, but today I noticed that they bounce around quite a bit for any given machine. I just had one machine go from reporting ~894000 kflops to ~904000 kflops. That a fairly significant change.

What's Condor doing to benchmark machines that the results fluctuate so widely?

If I turn off benchmarking do I lose anything else other than Kflops and MIPS numbers in my ClassAds?

- Ian