Re: [Condor-users] submitting all jobs with DAGMan

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Mag Gam wrote:

Is it possible to submit all jobs thru the condor_submit_dag utility?

Lets say I have a simple submit file, and instead of using
condor_submit can I just use condor_submit_dag ?

Well, you'd have to make a trivial DAG file. For example, if you have a submit file A.sub, you'd have to make a DAG file like this:

  JOB foo A.sub

and then run condor_submit_dag on that.

But, if you have a DAG with a single job, you don't really gain anything by submitting it via DAGMan. It makes sense to submit a *collection* of independent jobs via DAGMan to use the throttling features, though. (One note about that -- the throttling features are *per DAGMan*, not global, so if you do several condor_submit_dags with, say, maxjobs set, each one throttles independently.)

Another idea along these lines -- I had thought of adding a feature to allow condor_submit_dag to work directly with the submit files (without a DAG file) for the case where you just want to use DAGMan to throttle independent jobs. Maybe something like this:

  condor_submit_dag -sub A.sub B.sub C.sub ...

Would people find this useful? (All it would mean is that you wouldn't have to bother to make the degenerate DAG file.)

Kent Wenger
Condor Team