Re: [Condor-users] shared OS file system

On 08/09/2010 09:00 AM, Dave STREET wrote:
HI,

I have been using condor for a while now and it was all going fine, then
we decided to try booting mutiply Debian systems from a single nfs
mounted image.

this all works fine and we can run multiply machines, the issue comes
when trying to run Condor,

I booted one instance of the machine and installed condor and every
thing ran fine, joined the pool and was happy enough.

but booting up a second machine then I got the error message

/var/run/condor does not exist or is not a directory?

I can see in the config there is

*LOCAL_DIR*
    The location of the local Condor directory on each machine in your
    pool. One common option is to use the condor user's home directory
    which may be specified with $(TILDE). There is no default value for
    LOCAL_DIR . For example:

             LOCAL_DIR = $(tilde)

    On machines with a shared file system, where either the $(TILDE)
    directory or another directory you want to use is shared among all
    machines in your pool, you might use the $(HOSTNAME)macro and have a
    directory with many subdirectories, one for each machine in your
    pool, each named by host names. For example:

             LOCAL_DIR = $(tilde)/hosts/$(hostname)

    or:

             LOCAL_DIR = $(release_dir)/hosts/$(hostname)

    so I have LOCAL_DIR = $(release_dir)/hosts/$(hostname)

    Do I need to manually create and populate each directory for each machine, or is

    there a way to get them to auto-create as a new machine joins the pool?

    Cheers

    Aaron

Condor isn't going to create all those directories for you on startup, and it is good that you are not pointing your LOCAL_DIR to a shared filesystem!

Since RELEASE_DIR should be local to the node there should be no need to use $(HOSTNAME) at all. Just create /var/{run,log}/condor in your image and maybe a /var/lib/condor/{execute,spool} for your SPOOL and EXECUTE config. I set LOCAL_DIR to /var/lib/condor.

Best,

matt