Re: [Condor-users] VMware job "trapped" in a deadlock! What to do?

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 01:29, Rob wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:07 Jaime Frey wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 6, 2010, at 9:55 AM, Rob wrote:
>>
>>> The problem I encounter is:
>>>
>>> 1. The job's log file tells me that a VM job has been evicted.
>>> 2. However, condor keeps telling me that this VM job is still running.
>>> 3. And this condition persists for many, many hours, probably for ever!
>>>
>>> How can I get out of this apparent deadlock of the job and
>>> tell Condor to reschedule the job from the last checkpoint?
>>

>> Here's what I've learned from the logs you emailed to me:
>>
>> The job was indeed evicted when user log indicates, and returned to idle
>>status. 35 minutes later,
>> it was matched to the same machine and Condor tried to restart it there. During
>>
>>file transfer, the
>> execute machine's SUSPEND expression started evaluating to True. The startd
>>failed to send
>> a message to the starter, which was too busy transferring the job's files. The
>
>>starter ended up
>> exiting, but for some unknown reason, the shadow still had an open connection

>>to the execute
>> machine. That connection should close when the starter exits. So the shadow
>>waited for the
>> starter to retry the file transfer. Only when the execute machine was rebooted
>
>>did the shadow
>> notice the connection close.
>>
>> You can reduce the chance of this happening in the future by setting
>>STARTD_SENDS_ALIVES=True in your config file.
>>

> Should I set this on the Master, on the pool PC, or both?
>
> Thanks for your help!

I found a 1-year old email in the condor archives:
https://www-auth.cs.wisc.edu/lists/condor-users/2009-August/msg00138.shtml

Is the info here still valid?
Such as "STARTD_SENDS_ALIVES = True" must be set on both,
master and pool PCs; and when using this, also  PeriodicHold
and  PeriodicRelease  need to be set accordingly?

Also, the info on the next stable release

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.5/8_3Stable_Release.html

has this for 7.4.3 on STARTD_SENDS_ALIVES:

* Fixed a problem that caused the condor_startd daemon to crash
  in some cases when STARTD_SENDS_ALIVES was True.
  This setting is False by default.

All the PCs here have condor 7.4.2. Do I have to worry?
Or should I better wait until 7.4.3 comes out and then
implement  STARTD_SENDS_ALIVES  in the configs?

Thank you.
Rob.