Re: [Condor-users] Startd injecting environment variables for starting jobs?

On 12/10/2010 05:14 AM, Carsten Aulbert wrote:
Hi Matt

On Thursday 09 December 2010 21:01:19 Matthew Farrellee wrote:
STARTD_JOB_EXPRS takes attributes from the job and advertises them on
the slot where the job is running. Sounds like the opposite direction.

Not really, the execute node knows what it can support, thus needs to
advertise this to the user, thus STARTD_ATTRS seemed like the correct place
(and is, see below)

Any particular reason you're not talking about getenv/environment
associated with the job?

getenv imports the environment of the user when submitting the job, correct?
Thus, how should the submit machine know.
You could try a script that reads the $_CONDOR_MACHINE_AD (it's there,
right?) grabs the Env attribute and does some concatenation.

Let me know how it goes. I've been meaning to try this out myself.

Greg Thain had a much, much simpler solution (thank you very much for that!)

$$(VARIABLE) in the submit file will pick up the STARTD_ATTRS I already set.
Works beautifully.

Caveat: you need to set this variable everywhere or make sure by using proper
requirements, to steer only to machines which supports this (but then there
seems to be another problem, see my next email), otherwise your jobs will go
into hold state.

Cheers

Carsten

Great. You get to control the horizontal and the vertical here.

The reason STARTD_JOB_EXPRS seems backwards is because it goes job -> slot instead of slot -> job.

Best,

matt