Re: [Condor-users] Single email notification after completion of DAG

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Ian Chesal wrote:

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Franco Rupcich
<franco.rupcich@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

Hello all,

This is a very simple question, but I couldn't find the answer in the DAG
section of the online manual.

I'm wondering if there is a way to notify me via email after my entire DAG
has completed *without* having an email sent after completion of every
job/cluster of jobs.  I notice that the *notification* and *notify_user*commands are set in the individual submit description files rather than the
DAG input file.  Does this mean I will receive emails after completion of
each job (undesirable since it would lead to thousands of emails), or after
all jobs defined by that particular submit description file have completed?
The latter is preferred, however, I'd still prefer a single email telling me
when the entire DAG (however many thousands of jobs) have completed.

The simple approach would be add a final terminal node to your DAG that runs
after all other nodes have completed. The node would send you an email to
tell you the DAG was done.

Actually, the answer is even simpler. By default, you will get an email when the DAGMan job itself finishes (since DAGMan is run as a Condor job). So the only thing you have to do is turn off notification from the individual jobs within the DAG. You can do this by adding the following line to all of the node job submit files:

  notification = never

(or you can set notification = error if you still want to get emailed if an error happens).

Kent Wenger
Condor Team