Re: [Condor-users] condor_rooster

Johnson,

Short answer: the execute nodes and central manager must be 7.3.2 or higher to work with condor_rooster when using the default UNHIBERNATE policy.

Longer answer: The problem with versions of Condor prior ot 7.3.2 is that when they enter the hibernation state, they set Start=False in the offline machine ClassAd. This means no jobs will ever match the offline machine, so the default UNHIBERNATE expression would never become true, because it depends on MachineLastMatchTime. Furthermore, prior to 7.3.2, machines did not advertise an UNHIBERNATE expression, though you could work around this with STARTD_ATTRS or by changing ROOSTER_UNHIBERNATE to not depend on the machine's UNHIBERNATE expression.

So you _could_ use condor_rooster with execute nodes from prior to 7.3.2 providing you do not use the default UNHIBERNATE policy and your unhibernation policy does not depend on MachineLastMatchTime.

--Dan

Johnson koil Raj wrote:
Hi Dan,

So condor-7.3.2 or later is must or good to have version to use condor_rooster.

I am using condor-7.2.3 in my pools I am able to achieve hibernation, will I am able use condor_power & condor_rooster in this version. please clarify.

Johnson

Dan Bradley wrote:
Tom,

General advice for getting condor_rooster to work:

1. the execute nodes and central manager must be running Condor 7.3.2 or later.

2. OFFLINE_LOG must be configured so that the ClassAds of offline machines are saved. Verify that when a machine enters the hibernating state that you can see a ClassAd for that machine. The following command should list all hibernating machines:

condor_status -constraint 'Offline'

3. you must add ROOSTER to DAEMON_LIST on a machine from which condor_power can successfully wake up hibernating machines. (Changes to DAEMON_LIST require a restart of condor.) I recommend testing with condor_power by hand to make sure it can wake up hibernating machines.

--Dan

Tom T wrote:
All,
Has anyone who has spent time to get the Condor pool to
work with power saving Windows hosts I am very interested in
using condor_rooster to wake up machines automatically according to
demand but I cannot for the life of me understand how it works
Is there any more documentation available on this - Version 7.5 manual is a bit
short on info.
I am curious to see how other people are handling this .
Thanks in Advance
Tom

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
www.wipro.com