Re: [Condor-users] USE_VISIBLE_DESKTOP is invalid?

From the Services control panel on the execute machine, you can check Allow service to interact with desktop.  On Windows 7, this won't actually allow the condor daemons to interact the the default desktop (session 1), but it does cause Windows to show a little dialog box that can be used to switch desktops.  (so you can switch to see the session 0 desktop).

When you start notepad, you can switch to the session 0 desktop to see it.

On the execute machine.

   Click on the Start button.
   Right click on Computer.
   Choose Manage from the menu
   Open up Services and Applications in the left pane
   Choose Services in the left pane
   Find the Condor service in the right pane
   Double click on Condor in the right pane (this brings up Properties)
   Click on the Log On tab
   Check Allow service to interact with desktop.
   Choose OK

Now stop and restart condor.  Note that you have to restart the Master daemon, which condor_restart does not normally do.   so you need to either use net command to stop and restart condor, or use condor_restart -master

When the condor master daemon starts up, Windows 7 detects that it is trying to interact with the desktop and shows the following dialog.

As long as you don't close this dialog, you can use it to switch to the session 0 desktop and see your notepad.

-tj