[Condor-users] Possibly misleading info in Condor Manual

Hi there,

I have recently had reason to look into the job deferral bits
of Condor and believe that on this page:

 http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.4/2_12Time_Scheduling.html

in the section:

 2.12.1.4 Usage Examples

there's a small "not the whole truth" that might trip some
folk up.

That section says:

 The Unix date program may be used to calculate a Unix epoch time.
 The syntax of the command to do this appears as:

 %  date --date "MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS" +%s

I became aware that not all UNIX date programs might allow for the
long form of the "-d --date" flag, as the box I was creating my
job submission script on, running NetBSD 5.0, didn't have the
long form at all.

That OS required the following syntax
 (Oh yeah, I used a less /US-centric/open to misinterpretation/
   format for my required date)

%  date -d "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS" +%s

I think it might be worth having the manual at least specify the
short form as well, as I'm guessing they all handle that, until
such time (no pun intended) as all UNIX "date"s are equal.

--
Kevin M. Buckley                                  Room:  CO327
School of Engineering and                         Phone: +64 4 463 5971