Re: [Condor-users] Hooks in the Scheduler Universe?

Ian Chesal wrote:
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 10:28 AM, David Arthur <mumrah@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mumrah@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I'm hoping to use the Job Hook system for DAGs. I would like to
    utilize the "prepare job" and "job exit" hooks (to get notifications
    when the DAG is about to start, and once it's complete).

I don't want to knock too much on hooks, but unless you're using them on non-Windows nodes I wouldn't recommend this approach. The technology is still unstable on Windows. It's very easy to crash a startd.

That pipe/signal bug never got fully flushed out did it?

I've never considered running *just* the prepare_job hook, without a corresponding fetch_work hook.

I've used this for VM image transfer and cache maintenance. It is quite useful to realize that hooks can run for any job independently of if the job was pulled from the FETCH_WORK hook.

You can look for references to "toppings" from the last few Condor weeks (maybe last 3!). The prepare hook can actually modify the job ad before the job is executed.

The technology is condor_starter specific I believe. The scheduler universe doesn't use a condor_starter to run its jobs as far as I'm aware.

That's true.

Best,

matt