Re: [Condor-users] Hooks in the Scheduler Universe?

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Matthew Farrellee <matt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ian Chesal wrote:

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 10:28 AM, David Arthur <mumrah@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mumrah@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

   I'm hoping to use the Job Hook system for DAGs. I would like to
   utilize the "prepare job" and "job exit" hooks (to get notifications
   when the DAG is about to start, and once it's complete).

I don't want to knock too much on hooks, but unless you're using them on non-Windows nodes I wouldn't recommend this approach. The technology is still unstable on Windows.  It's very easy to crash a startd.

That pipe/signal bug never got fully flushed out did it?

Unfortunately no.

I've never considered running *just* the prepare_job hook, without a corresponding fetch_work hook.

I've used this for VM image transfer and cache maintenance. It is quite useful to realize that hooks can run for any job independently of if the job was pulled from the FETCH_WORK hook.

That's a nice bit of outside thinking that is. Now to get it working on Windows... :)

Regards,
- Ian