Re: [Condor-users] dealing with low memory

Adding that requirement in this particular case would make those 1.2G jobs avoid that 8G system altogether given your static slot configuration. Is that what you were looking for, or were you trying to figure out how to best use your 8 core 8G system?

Partitionable and dynamic slots provide the most flexible alternative:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.4/3_13Setting_Up.html#SECTION004139900000000000000

You could reconfigure this host and others like it to a single partitionable slot, modify your SUBMIT_EXPRS to include a default for RequestMemory for a value that used to be what you'd manage to (like 1024), and then request exactly the right amount of memory needed for these jobs (and others going forward). This also lets you differentiate jobs capable of using multiple cores from those that can't.

To manage the jobs within your slots you can create a job wrapper that sets rlimit's based on memory:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.4/3_13Setting_Up.html#SECTION0041313000000000000000

...although there are several other policy alternatives if you want a less rigid slot boundary.

-- Lans Carstensen

Erik Erlandson wrote:
One approach is to add a job requirement to your submission file that
takes memory into account, for example:

requirements = (Memory > 1200)

If you have an expectation of how much memory each job will use, another
approach would be to declare partitionable slots, and include expected
memory use in the job submissions.
-Erik