Re: [Condor-users] Meaning of the variable VM1 User

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 4:40 AM, Sónia Liléo <sonia.lileo@xxxxx> wrote:

The problem is that I have installed Condor 7.4.1 instead of Condor 6.7.

In the 7.4.1. version the variable ALLOW_REMOTE_SUBMIT is not present in the condor_config file.

Is there any other variable in this version that is equivalent to ALLOW_REMOTE_SUBMIT?

I don't think you need this any more. It was used to toggle the remote submission capabilities on/off, which were new to 6.7. It should just be True always now.

You'll know pretty quickly if this is the case if you do:

condor_submit -remote <submission ticket>

What is the function of the variables VM1_USER and EXECUTE_LOGIN_IS_DEDICATED?

VM1_USER tells Condor to use a specific account when running a job. Normally Condor uses a temporary, local, throw-away account to run jobs. You can use this setting to run jobs as a specific user in your domain. The whole "virtual machine" terminology was dropped after 6.7 because the term was co-opted by hardware virtualization. To remove ambiguity the Condor team started calling them "slots". So VM1_USER --> SLOT1_USER. Which means the docs for this are here: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.4/3_3Configuration.html#15429

EXECUTE_LOGIN_IS_DEDICATED has been superceded by DEDICATED_EXECUTE_ACCOUNT_REGEXP. This setting helps Condor identify and track which users are running processes as part of Condor jobs on a machine. When a job ends, Condor can use this information to make sure an orphaned processes are found and killed by relying on the fact that any process owned by the user must have come from the job. Details are here: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.4/3_3Configuration.html#15454

Can I just add the variables ALLOW_REMOTE_SUBMIT, VM1_USER and EXECUTE_LOGIN_IS_DEDICATED in condor_config file of the 7.4.1. version?

No. See above. These settings have changed in 7.4.x.

Should I just give up and install Condor 6.7 instead?

6.7.x was a development branch. If you really must go back to such an old version consider 6.8.x, not 6.7.x.

In this case where can I download this version?...I haven’t found it at http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/.

On the Download page there's a paragraph right below the table that shows the currently available releases. Says something like "if you're looking for an older version of Condor go here". Here is: http://parrot.cs.wisc.edu/contrib.license.html

Is the Condor 6.7 manual available somewhere?

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.7/

- Ian

Cycle Computing, LLC
The Leader in Open Compute Solutions for Clouds, Servers, and Desktops
Enterprise Condor Support and Management Tools

http://www.cyclecomputing.com
http://www.cyclecloud.com