Re: [Condor-users] Submit Jobs question.

> 2010/9/23 Edier Alberto Zapata Hernández <edalzap@xxxxxxxxx>
> >> NUM_CPUS = 1
> >>
> >> And then the machines would only advertise 1 slot each.
> >
> > But what happend with the other 3 cores? Condor will not use them?
>
> Just to be clear here: *Condor* doesn't use cores, your jobs use cores.
> Condor will only run one job at a time on the machine, but all of the cores
> are accessible to the job. There are valid cases for only advertising one
> slot on a multi-core machine. You may not have a case here. For example: if
> you have a multi-threaded, CPU-intensive application you may want your
> machines to advertise one slot because running >1 job at time simply slows
> everything down as threads swap continuously.

You may also be interested in "Whole Machine Slots".  See here:
https://condor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/wiki?p=WholeMachineSlots

Another option is to modify your execute machine's configuration with:
NUM_CPUS = 1
This will force the machine to only publish a single processor.  Your job
would need to know how to detect the correct # of CPUs and create the correct
number of child processes or threads.  I think that the above (Whole Machine
Slots) is probably a better choice, though.

-Nick

--
           <<< The Matrix is everywhere. >>>
 /`-_    Nicholas R. LeRoy               The Condor Project