Re: [Condor-users] Condor Simulation Tool

I think the problem with writing a simulator is you'll be writing Condor. There's not really any good way to simulate a massively parallel system (you could view each slot as a separate "thread") on a not-massively-parallel architecture like a stand-alone machine. The time it'd take to walk through the simulation and evaluate the state at every clock tick would be large and even then you wouldn't be accurate because state changes over network wires can't be 100% synchronized to clock ticks -- there's randomness there (router lag, wire propagation, collisions, etc.) that you just can't model in without a huge amount of effort.

Add to that job loads and job characteristics vary widely so a spec for defining jobs in the simulator would be non-trivial and what you end up writing is…well…Condor. All over again. :)

To explore changes one approach you can take is to build a shadow system on several machines. Where you overload the slots on the machines, say 5:1 or something like that, and then only run jobs that sleep and not do any actual processing. This can help you explore configuration and policy changes more quickly than deploying them into a production system.

Regards,
- Ian

---
Ian Chesal

Cycle Computing, LLC
Leader in Open Compute Solutions for Clouds, Servers, and Desktops
Enterprise Condor Support and Management Tools

http://www.cyclecomputing.com
http://www.cyclecloud.com
http://twitter.com/cyclecomputing