Re: [Condor-users] GUI for Condor

I'm currently in the process of introducing Condor in the company I'm
working for and, thus, face a similar problem as the users are not very
familiar with the command line and are not comfortable with writing
scripts to submit their jobs.

For this reason I'm implementing several GUI tools which interact with
the condor tools in the background and give the users in my company the
possibility to submit, watch and configure their jobs in an easy way.
The problem with such tools is typically that they are either so general
that they are not a great help in making the system easily accessible
for the unexperienced user or they are so tailored to a certain
application that they are not really of general use.

To create the input files for condor_submit I'm using a "wizard like"
interface which asks the user for the settings important to select a
certain execution host in our computational environment and the input
parameters for the software started on the selected execution host. This
is not too much work to do and with this tool the system was immediately
accepted by the users. So maybe something like this can be a good
starting point for you as well.

Then I have written a more general program which allows the users to do
the administration of their jobs and to establish remote connections via
VNC to the execution host of a running job which just starts the wizard
like application in case the user wants to submit a new job. This
separation of the job administration (rather general) and job submission
(rather tailored to the computational environment we have in my company)
in two different applications allows the first program to be rather
general. If you are interested I could give you some parts of the code
which could be of general use as a starting point. It's written in C++
and uses wxWidgets to handle the cross-platform complexity.