Re: [Condor-users] Job completion hooks

On 07/14/2011 08:17 AM, Matthew Farrellee wrote:
On 07/07/2011 05:36 PM, Tyler Strickland wrote:
All,

Here's my issue: on my cluster, I'm handling user notification of job
completion instead of letting condor send out those messages - I've
automated the process of job submission and file retrieval via a Django
website. This process tends to work well - the programs I run are
actually scripts, where the first and last lines of the scripts
interface with my software and let me know when the job has actually
started and stopped. The problem comes in when the generated output
files are large and take several minutes to transfer back to the
submitting computer; technically the user could receive a completion
email and visit the website to download their files before those files
have finished transferring.

I've looked into hooks, but the one that seems to run at the latest
point in the processing chain - HOOK_JOB_EXIT - runs prior to file
transfer. I thought about HOOK_JOB_CLEANUP, but the part in the
documentation about running the specified cleanup script instead of
Condor's cleanup scripts causes a bit of trepidation regarding that
route. Is there any way to run a program once _all_ the steps have
completed processing without interfering with Condor's inner workings?

Thanks,
Tyler

The JOB_CLEANUP hook is for the JobRouter and would not help you anyway.
There isn't a hook that will help you. I imagine it would be a submit
side hook, maybe in the Shadow. I believe people monitor job event logs
in cases like this.

Best,

matt

I'm sorry to hear that, Matt. Knowing when a job is fully complete - file transfers included - could be a very useful thing, especially when files could take up to several minutes to transfer. I'll look further into watching the log files, but my preliminary look into that didn't turn up much that would be of direct assistance.

On a side note, does Condor's email notification system send out emails before or after the file transfer occurs? If after, I might be able to redirect those emails into my administration software and use them as "hook" themselves...

Thanks,
Tyler