Re: [Condor-users] Condor + EC2

Thanks Chi, but setting condor in amazon was pretty straight forward.
Just the poweroff part that did not go as expected. As I promised I am posting here how to do it, you can get everything running in 15 minutes. Feel free to optimize for your needs, it fits mine the way it is.

<> Instructions on how to set a condor pool in the amazon cloud using ubuntu 10.04 LTS (ami-ad36fbc4):

Set a security group to enable ports:
TCP: 22, 9628, 40000-40050
UDP: 9618, 40000-40050

Fire AMI and after connection download necessary files:
$ wget http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/debian/development/dists/squeeze/contrib/binary-amd64/condor-7.7.2-1-deb_6.0_amd64.deb
$ wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/o/openssl098/libssl0.9.8_0.9.8o-7_amd64.deb

Install everything:
$ sudo apt-get install libc6-i386 libvirt0 libxen3
$ sudo dpkg -i libssl0.9.8_0.9.8o-7_amd64.deb
$ sudo dpkg -i condor-7.7.2-1-deb_6.0_amd64.deb

I did a script that is executed before the condor service and sets the machine as Central Manager or Worker, depending on the user-data of the REST interface.
You can download it here: http://pastie.org/pastes/2881119/text
Save the script to /etc/init.d/ and set it to run before condor on the appropriate run levels:
$ for run_level in 2 3 4 5;
> do
> sudo ln -vs /etc/init.d/condor_config /etc/rc${run_level}.d/S01condor-config
> echo /etc/rc2.d/S0${i}condor-config
> done
$ sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/condor_config

I also set a crontab to turn the machines off automatically if idle for more than 5 minutes:
$ sudo crontab file

where file is:
*/1 * * * * if grep -Fxq 'CONDOR_HOST = $(FULL_HOSTNAME)' /etc/condor/condor_config.local; then loadavg=`cat /proc/loadavg | tr " " "\n" | awk 'NR==2'`; loadavgpoweroff=`echo "${loadavg} < 0.01" | bc`; if [ ${loadavgpoweroff} -ne "0" ]; then /sbin/poweroff; fi; fi;

<> After all is finished just clean-up, rebundle the machine and you are good to go.
Running the Manager: Just start the AMI.
Running the Workers: Set the number of workers and in the "Advanced Instance Options" set the user-data as the public DNS of the Master and set Shutdown Behavior to "Terminate" and you are good to go.

It is my first time using condor, so if I can optimize something please let me know. Thanks a lot for the help guys.

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Chi Chan <chichan2008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you are new to Condor, then it can be hard to setup a Condor cluster on EC2.

You may want to see if the open-source StarCluster project from MIT
fits your need:

http://web.mit.edu/stardev/cluster/

"StarCluster 0.91 Demo": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC3lJcPq1FY

Currently, the only scheduler StarCluster supports is Sun Grid Engine
(now called "Open Grid Scheduler" with Oracle), but people are adding
Torque & Condor support. I think it is way easier to setup a cluster
with StarCluster than doing all of them by hand.

And if someone from the Condor project can give the StarCluster
developers a hand in implementing the Condor plugin, then open source
schedulers can all share one single EC2 provisioning layer, and can
easily migrate from job scheduler to scheduler.

--Chi