Re: [Condor-users] Condor Slots Understanding Question....

Hi,

On 09/14/2011 08:43 PM, Ian Chesal wrote:
Take a look at NEGOTIATOR_PRE_JOB_RANK and NEGOTIATOR_POST_JOB_RANK. In your case I'd try:

NEGOTIATOR_POST_JOB_RANK = (RemoteOwner =?= UNDEFINED) * (KFlops - SlotID)

So that favours machines where the slot is unoccupied and the slot ID is lower. That would fill all empty slot1 slots, then all empty slot2 slots and so on. Adjust to suit your needs.

I was looking for something similar, in order to avoid jobs from piling up on the same machine while other ones are empty. I'm afraid that your solution can work only if all the jobs have similar duration. If not (e.g. because jobs can fail randomly during execution, or because the duration is not predictable at all), there's no relation between the lower free slot ID and the load of the machine in terms of claimed slots. In this case, it would be useful to rank against the number of free slots, possibly weighted with other attributes, but I haven't figured out how to do that... Any hint?

Thanks
David

--
David Rebatto
I.N.F.N. - Sezione di Milano

"Computer science is not about computers any more than
astronomy is about telescopes." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra