Re: [Condor-users] hyper-threading on Win compute nodes

On 04/11/2012 12:35 AM, Guy K. Kloss wrote:
Hi all,

in a cycle scavenging scenario for Win 7 lab machines (Condor 7.6.6),
we've hit the problem that the nodes were running a worker per HT CPU
core, and not per physical CPU core. Therefore, when people logged in,
the machine may be a bit too sluggish. We've had complaints ... :-/

With joy I have found out that the COUNT_HYPERTHREAD_CPUS=False
directive in the configuration would help. However, things have
unfortunately not changed. I've tried to drill down the problem by
following the instructions as given in the thread this message belongs
to [1]. Too bad, the only info I got from this was

condor_config_val -debug NUM_CPUS
04/11/12 14:27:04 Locale: English_United States.1252
Not defined: NUM_CPUS

Then trying to drill deeper, I stumbled across this ticket in the bug
tracker [2]. Is it possible, that the HT CPU handling is still not
implemented for Wintendo? If so, what are the suggestions to solve this
problem, which might *not* involve having to manually set the number of
CPUs for each and every machine (we've got quite a heterogeneous
environment, and Condor is rolled out using an automated deployment.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Guy

[1]
https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/condor-users/2011-November/msg00074.shtml
[2] https://condor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/tktview?tn=1721,14

Given the ticket is still open, I'd surmise that the bug is still there.

Set TOOL.DEBUG = D_FULLDEBUG to see the processor calculation when you pass -debug to condor_config_val.

* * *

Ok, I can confirm it won't work on Windows...

$ grep -B3 -A1 COUNT_\HYPERTHREAD_CPUS src/condor_sysapi/reconfig.cpp
#ifdef LINUX
	/* Should we count hyper threads? */
	_sysapi_count_hyperthread_cpus =
		param_boolean_int("COUNT_HYPERTHREAD_CPUS", 1);
#endif

Best,

matt