Re: [Condor-users] hyper-threading on Win compute nodes

Hi Matt,

On 12/04/12 00:25, Matthew Farrellee wrote:
> Given the ticket is still open, I'd surmise that the bug is still there.

That's what I've been fearing ... :-(

> Set TOOL.DEBUG = D_FULLDEBUG to see the processor calculation when you
> pass -debug to condor_config_val.

Tried that, but under Windows the output is rather sparse in comparison
to Linux. There's apparently no calculation of processors involved under
Windows, at least none that the D_FULLDEBUG would report about. See the
output in my mail for the condor_config_val command, the only additional
info spat out with the D_FULLDEBUG was the info on the locale.

> Ok, I can confirm it won't work on Windows...
>
> $ grep -B3 -A1 COUNT_\HYPERTHREAD_CPUS src/condor_sysapi/reconfig.cpp
> #ifdef LINUX
>     /* Should we count hyper threads? */
>     _sysapi_count_hyperthread_cpus =
>         param_boolean_int("COUNT_HYPERTHREAD_CPUS", 1);
> #endif

Thanks for tracking down and confirming this.

Too bad, as particularly for cycle scavenging scenarios on (lab)
machines this would be a particularly useful feature.

I'll have to look into some sort of deployment script that'll detect the
number of physical CPU cores only and generate a condor_config.local
file with a set NUM_CPUS field, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for looking into that. I know what to do now (pimp up a
deployment script).

Guy

--
Guy K. Kloss
School of Computing + Mathematical Sciences