[Condor-users] condor_chirp - How to escape special characters in classads?

I'm trying to use condor_chirp to set a job classad which contains a
lot of spaces quotes and stuff. I found out, that I can escape the
outer quotes and something like this:

condor_chirp set_job_attr MyAttribute \"whatever\"

works. However, something like this

condor_chirp set_job_attr MyAttribute \"what ever\"

does not. I tried to escape the space (with a backslash) as well but
this did not succeed either. condor_chirp comes always back with the
statement

"condor_chirp set_job_attr AttributeName AttributeValue"

Is there any documented way how one can set an arbitrary string as
value for a classad using condor_chirp ?