Re: [Condor-users] FQDN to avoid specific machine(s)

Matt,

I have gotten perms to do the very thing on our cluster...in particular to advertise JAVA after appropriately configuring each node's config file to point to its java.exe.

I also got the question answer about needing quotes (I do) and not needing a DNS-style trailing period for the FQDN.

Thanks,
Mike

mlanham@xxxxxxxxxx
michael.lanham@xxxxxxxxxxx
5117 Wean Hall, CMU,5000 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-4681 (w)  719-201-5520 (c)

On Jul 5, 2012, at 6:33 PM, Matthew Farrellee wrote:

> For example: requirements = TARGET.Machine =!= "lingo.foo.bar.edu"
>
> A better approach, if you can do it, is to have machines advertise the software suites that are available. Your jobs can then just require a specific software suite. If you want to try this let me know and I'll whip up an example.
>
> Best,
>

> matt
>
> On 06/26/2012 06:32 PM, John (TJ) Knoeller wrote:
>> You will need quotes around the machine names.   To find out what exact
>> string to use,  just ask condor.
>>
>>    condor_status -format "%s\n" Machine   lingo.foo.bar.edu
>>

>> if you are using Condor 7.7.5 or later, you can use the %V (for value)
>> format to see whether or not quotes are needed.
>>
>>     condor_status -format "%V\n" Machine   lingo.foo.bar.edu
>>

>> -tj
>>

>> On 6/26/2012 8:55 AM, Michael Lanham wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I need to avoid three machines in my department's cluster that don't have supporting software installed.
>>> I am using the following requirements line
>>>
>>> requirements	= ((ARCH == "INTEL" || ARCH=="X86_64") && \
>>> 			 ((OPSYS == "WINNT52") || (OPSYS == "WINNT61") || \
>>> 			 (OPSYS == "WINDOWS")) && \
>>> 			 (TARGET.Machine =!= lingo.foo.bar.edu) && \
>>> 			 (TARGET.Machine =!= bigfoot.foo.bar.edu) && \
>>> 			 (TARGET.Machine =!= zaphod.foo.bar.edu))
>>>
>>> but this is not working. The jobs submit fine, but they still hit these three machines.
>>>
>>> I re-read the manual and think I discovered I had omitted the quotation marks around the machine names--assuming they are considered strings when doing the comparison.  Archives have examples with quotes and without quotes.  I have confirmed with condor_q -l that the machines names are advertising in all lower case, since =!= is case preserving (BTW, pro-ed question: whats the difference between case preserving and case sensitive?).
>>>
>>> I am also not clear on the notation in the manual that the string is supposed to be the FQDN of the machine.  In DNS land, a FQDN requires a trailing period at the end (e.g. lingo.foo.bar.edu. [note the trailing period]).  Is that true in Condor submit land as well? Archives show examples without trailing periods....are they correct?
>>>
>>> Summary...
>>> 1. Do I surround FQDN machine names with quotes to either match or not match?