Re: [Condor-users] Idle jobs and userprio.

On Thursday, 14 June, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Amy Bush wrote:
Possibly a dumb question, possibly has been asked and answered before,
though damned if I could find anything in my searching.

A few of my users have asked if their condor_userprio is impacted by
idle jobs. Do a few thousand jobs sitting idle worsen your userprio? Or
only actively running jobs?
Priority is based on time spent using computers. Idle jobs don't impact your user priority.
(I assume since the manual refers to "number of resources used", it's
only running jobs. But then if a job gets evicted repeatedly because of
preemption, will that user's prio get significantly worse because of
those many resources very briefly used?)
That counts as accumulated time. Impacts your effective user priority. In the standard universe this doesn't really matter since preemption shouldn't result in a loss of forward progress in the job. It'll resume from where it left off when it runs again. But vanilla jobs take a potentially big hit due to preemption.

Regards,
- Ian

---
Ian Chesal

Cycle Computing, LLC
Leader in Open Compute Solutions for Clouds, Servers, and Desktops
Enterprise Condor Support and Management Tools

http://www.cyclecomputing.com
http://www.cyclecloud.com
http://twitter.com/cyclecomputing