Re: [HTCondor-users] VirtualBox: Guest user vs. Condor account!?!

----- Original Message -----

From: Ben Burnett <ben.burnett>
To: Rob <spamrefuse>; HTCondor-Users Mail List <htcondor-users>
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2012 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-users] VirtualBox: Guest user vs. Condor account!?!

> Hi Rob:
>
> You might be able to do one of the following:
>
> * Grant the slot user(s) permissions [1] to use DCOM on the execute machine;
> * 'If your jobs run as specific users on machines and those users are in the Administrators group the DCOM changes are unnecessary' [1];
> * Disable the VboxVmService.  It seems it interferes with the use of vboxmanage [2].
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> [1]: https://htcondor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/wiki?p=ExcelJobs
> [2]: http://sourceforge.net/p/vboxvmservice/support-requests/37/

I don't have VboxVmService on the Windows execute PCs, so your third suggestion can not be the problem.

Jobs do not run as a dedicated user; just as 'ad hoc created' condor slot users and thus I cannot use your second option.

That leaves me with your first suggestion; I have never heard of DCOM (but your link is helpful!).
And...how can give a permission to a user, who does not yet exist?

(as far as I understand, Condor creates a new user when it sets up the execution environment for a job).

Thanks!
Rob.