Re: [Condor-users] Hostname problem, OSX 10.5

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 17:04:03 +1300
Chris Jewell <c.p.jewell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've run into a problem on Mac OSX 10.5 concerning the hostname and
> IP address that Condor registers when it starts.  I've written a

If upgrading to 10.7 or 10.8 is not an option and these aren't desktops
then consider replacing the operating systems with Linux. At least
you'll get security updates that way even on PowerPC (it's an official
release architecture for Debian, for example).

> DC_AUTHENTICATE: session theCollector:1254:1349141429:44 NOT FOUND;
> this session was requested by <130.123.155.217:49223> with return
> address <127.0.0.1:49153>

Does your master have a static IP address? If not then that's probably
the problem.

If that's not it then you're dealing with a chicken and egg problem.
Macintosh self-assigns an IP address to a network interface under DHCP
control after the interface is plumbed but before it obtains a lease
(Windows does the same thing). Triggering on the interface being
configured won't work.

I'd write a little wrapper around condor_master that actively tries to
ping the master node and starts the condor_master process only after
the master node is visible to the worker.

--
Rich Pieri <ratinox@xxxxxxx>
MIT Laboratory for Nuclear Science