[HTCondor-users] Condor Win!

Hi All,

Just wanted to share a little success story.

We are a small public university that has been hit hard in both human and budget resources in recent years (as many schools have). We do have a research computing group but overall our IT is stretched so thin that most all of those folks are on fire duty. A group in our Statistics department was up against a runtime wall trying to run some R jobs in VM’s. There were a total of 8000 jobs that each took 12 hours  to complete (with unfettered access to a single core). By marshaling a few of our labs we were able to run over 1100 simultaneous jobs on 175 ish machines (mostly i7’s a few i5’s) even through several electrical storms that rebooted all the machines and caused all manner of networking errors IN TIME! She is going to add me to the Author list for the paper and we will put a blurb about Condor.

I hope this will be a proof of concept for a larger roll-out. I also plan to replace our torque scheduler for ROCKS with this for our mpi jobs.

Thank you for such a polished and stable product. I am a fan for life!!!

Thanks,

Eddie Dunn

Systems Administrator

Department of Computer Science