Re: [HTCondor-users] Condor Win!

On 6/25/2013 9:57 AM, Dunn, George Jr wrote:
Hi All,

Just wanted to share a little success story.

Hi Eddie -

Thank you for sharing! The folks who work on HTCondor (like me) really appreciate the kind words and you taking the time to post.

Curious... were you submitting VM universe jobs? Or vanilla universe jobs to HTCondor execute nodes running inside of VMs (i.e. running the condor_startd inside a VM) ?

Thanks and welcome to the HTCondor community,
Todd

We are a small public university that has been hit hard in both human
and budget resources in recent years (as many schools have). We do have
a research computing group but overall our IT is stretched so thin that
most all of those folks are on fire duty. A group in our Statistics
department was up against a runtime wall trying to run some R jobs in
VM’s. There were a total of 8000 jobs that each took 12 hours  to
complete (with unfettered access to a single core). By marshaling a few
of our labs we were able to run over 1100 simultaneous jobs on 175 ish
machines (mostly i7’s a few i5’s) even through several electrical storms
that rebooted all the machines and caused all manner of networking
errors IN TIME! She is going to add me to the Author list for the paper
and we will put a blurb about Condor.

I hope this will be a proof of concept for a larger roll-out. I also
plan to replace our torque scheduler for ROCKS with this for our mpi jobs.

Thank you for such a polished and stable product. I am a fan for life!!!

Thanks,

Eddie Dunn

Systems Administrator

Department of Computer Science