Re: [HTCondor-users] Use local Executables on Windows Clients

On 3/15/2013 11:38 AM, Mark Prenter wrote:
Hi, I’m really new to using HTCondor.

Welcome!

What I would like to do is submit
jobs to the pool that use programs and DLLs installed on the client
(processing) machines.  Meaning the jobs need access to the local PATH
variable to find the exe’s and required DLL files.  I’ve tried “Getenv =
true” but I’m not sure that will accomplish what I want.  I’ve also seen
reference to USER_JOB_WRAPPER, but I’m not entirely sure how that works
either.  Can anyone get me going in the right direction?

If you do "GetEnv = True" in your job submit file, your job will end up with the same set of environment variables (incl path) that is visible to "condor_submit" on your submit machine.

When HTCondor runs a job, indeed it will by default scrub the environment of the execute machine. If you want the environment variables of the execute machine to be visible to the job, in the condor_config file on the execute machines set
  JOB_INHERITS_STARTER_ENVIRONMENT = True
[ See http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/manual/v7.8/3_3Configuration.html#19939 ]

On Windows, be aware there are two sets of environment variables: system environment variables that are in common across all users, and user environment variables that are specific to a given login. Hopefully your application is installed "for all users" and thus has populated the system environment....

Hope the above helps
Todd

Just to clarify my setup…it’s only Windows, I have 3 computers with
HTCondor installed and seeming working.  Each computer has the same set
of software installed and the PATH setup properly so that if I bring up
a command line and run my executable, it runs fine.  But when I try to
submit the same process as a condor task, it has trouble finding the
executable.  If I use UNC instead of drive letters to directly reference
the location of the executable, then it can’t find the DLLs require to
run the executable.  All leading me to believe that the Condor task is
not using the local windows PATH settings.

Thanks,

Mark Prenter