Re: [HTCondor-users] HTCondor 8.0.3 on Windows workers: firewall rules?

OK, I have done a few more tests regarding what condor is and is not doing to the firewall rules.
See below for more details. In summary:

* An unattended install on Windows gives you no other option than installing a very long list of firewall exceptions for condor.

* The rules installed during the installation are very different from the ones inserted by the daemons.
   (Is this inconsistent, or an intentional policy?)

Here are the results of my tests:

1. For the "unattended install" on Windows (that's what I do!), there's no argument switch to pass to the msiexec installer in order to manipulate the firewall policy, at least not that I know of......
Hence, I concluded that a heavy carpet bombing firewall rules approach is done upon unattended install;
I get these Inbound firewall rules:

condor_c-gahp.exe
condor_c-gahp_worker_thread.exe

condor_collector.exe

condor_credd.exe

condor_dagman.exe

condor_gridmanager.exe

condor_kbdd.exe

condor_master.exe

condor_negotiator.exe

condor_schedd.exe

condor_shadow.exe

condor_startd.exe

condor_starter.exe

condor_vm-gahp.exe

All configured as follows:
Profile: All
Enable: Yes
Action: Allow
Override: No
Program: executable's name in C:\condor\bin\
Protocol: Any
Local port: Any
Remote port: Any
Allowed Users: Any
Allowed Computers: Any

2. In the condor configuration I can set whether or not to let the daemons add firewall rules.
If I use "ADD_WINDOWS_FIREWALL_EXCEPTION = False", then the firewall is not affected, but the long list of condor related firewall rules is the same as immediately after the installation.

3. If I configure condor to modify the firewall rules when the daemons start, using
"ADD_WINDOWS_FIREWALL_EXCEPTION = True" (the default setting, I think), then I get new condor firewall rules ADDED to the already long list:

condor_dagman.exe
condor_kbdd.exe
condor_master.exe
condor_startd.exe
condor_starter.exe
condor_vm-gahp.exe

They have mostly the same settings as the rules from the installation, except:
Profile: Private
Protocol: TCP and UDP (hence each rule appears twice in the firewall list)

4. If I manually delete the condor related firewall rules and restart Condor, then the firewall only has the smaller set of rules (only the ones listed in 3.).

Rob.