Re: [HTCondor-users] Bug report: condor_gpu_discovery.exe crashes on Windows 7 & 8.1 32 & 64 Bit in OpenCL detection

On 4/25/2014 5:36 AM, Ernst-Georg Schmid wrote:
Hello,

I have tried condor_gpu_discovery.exe from 8.1.5 on various Windows Machines with Windows 7 and 8.1, 32 and 64 bit.

CUDA detection works as expected with Nvidia cards.

OpenCL detection crashes.

Thanks for the bug report!!! Really appreciate when people take the time to test a developer release and report issues. Makes the software better for everybody.

We are looking into this and the developer who worked on the OpenCL code will be in touch with you shortly. We definitely want to fix OpenCL issues before HTCondor v8.2.0....

regards,
Todd

When run with '-verbose', the OpenCL output looks ok, until the number of devices present is reported. There a random number is shown that has nothing to do with the actual number of installed GPUs and then Windows reports that condor_gpu_discovery.exe has stopped working.

This happens with Nvidia, AMD and Intel devices. Since I can compile and run 32 and 64 bit OpenCL programs fine on all these machines, I assume that something in condor_gpu_discovery.exe is broken.

The wrong number of devices might be random memory content which would indicate an off-by-one-error or something like this and would also explain the immediate crash afterwards.

Best regards,

Ernst-Georg Schmid