[HTCondor-users] default host ranking

Hi all,

I would like to set up a default rank of the hosts in our pool (unless the user specifies another ranking). Where is this set? Currently we only have two machines, the central host and âhost2â. It looks to me like HTCondor is always filling up the slots on âhost2â before starting to use the slots on the central machine. I suppose this makes sense for larger pools where you want to keep the resources on the central host free for as long as possible. However, we would currently like it to be opposite (or even, distribute the jobs evenly between hosts in the pool)

Further, I tried to use the ârankâ parameter in the job file without success. I added this line to the job configuration file:

rank = ( 2 * (machine == âhost1â) ) + (machine == âhost2â)

With this condor was still populating the slots on host2 before using the slots on host1. I then figured maybe there is some other ranking done, such that I need to increase the number. However, even
rank = ( 1000 * (machine == âhost1â) ) + (machine == âhost2â)
or
rank = ( 1000 * (machine == âhost1â) )
changed anything (that I noticed).

That made me think that maybe I was simply using wrong hostnames, so I added them to the ârequirementsâ instead. That worked, unless I wrote âhost1â and/or âhost2â (and spelled correctly), the respective hosts would not be used.

Is ranking not turned on by default, or is there something else I might be missing?

In case I explain myself incorrectly I attach my job configuration file.

Cheers,
Yngve