From: HTCondor-users [mailto:htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Todd Tannenbaum
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2014 11:03 PM
To: HTCondor-Users Mail List
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-users] request_cpus and slot weight

On 12/1/2014 10:07 AM, Uri Schneider wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to have partitionable dynamic slots (by CPU), and also
> have each job count as its requested CPU count, for quota purposes.

The default is for HTCondor to use CPUs for its slot weight.
In v8.2.x, the relevant defaults are:
   NEGOTIATOR_USE_SLOT_WEIGHTS = true
   NEGOTIATOR_USE_WEIGHTED_DEMAND = true
   SLOT_WEIGHT = Cpus

Perhaps you modified one of the defaults in your condor_config file(s) ?

So I tested your setup below on my laptop (running HTCondor v8.2.4) which gives me a pool with one partitionable slot containing four CPUs (since my laptop has four cores).  I then submitted some jobs that have
   request_cpus = 2
in the job submit file and things worked as expected according to
condor_status:

 >condor_status -af:h Name State SlotType Cpus SlotWeight

Name                  State     SlotType      Cpus SlotWeight
slot1@ToddsThinkpad   Unclaimed Partitionable 0    0
slot1_1@ToddsThinkpad Claimed   Dynamic       2    2
slot1_2@ToddsThinkpad Claimed   Dynamic       2    2

Note the SlotWeight in the newly created dynamic slots does equal the number of Cpus in that dynamic slot (which in turn equals the number of cpus requested in the job).

regards,
Todd

> The relevant condor_config part is:
>
> NUM_SLOTS = 1
>
> NUM_SLOTS_TYPE_1 = 1
>
> SLOT_TYPE_1 = cpus=100%
>
> SLOT_TYPE_1_PARTITIONABLE = true
>
> SLOT_TYPE_1_SLOT_WEIGHT = Cpus
>
> My jobs' submit file includes:
>
> request_cpus = 2
>
> However, when such a job matches to a slot, I get the following, when
> trying to figure the slot's weight:
>
> # condor_status -long | grep Weight
>
> SlotWeight = 1
>
> SlotWeight = 1
>
> (... and so on, one such line for each job matched)
>
> # condor_q -long | grep RequestCpus
>
> ReqeustCpus = 2
>
> ReqeustCpus = 2
>
> (... and so on, one such line for each job matched)
>
> I would like each job's slot to have a weight of 2, as it requested 2 CPUs.
>
> Any clue as to what I am doing wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Uri Schneider

> The archives can be found at:

Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx> University of Wisconsin-Madison
Center for High Throughput Computing   Department of Computer Sciences
HTCondor Technical Lead                1210 W. Dayton St. Rm #4257
Phone: (608) 263-7132                  Madison, WI 53706-1685